“A strong, innovative thinker who has demonstrated an insightful depth of knowledge and leadership on strategy and planning processes for Noosa and the Sunshine Coast. “
Bob Abbot Mayor Noosa 1997 – 2008, Sunshine Coast 2008 – 2012
With 16 years experience in high-level planning roles for local government, Russell is widely respected by the government and community for his demonstrated leadership and knowledge of the planning and tourism industry.
He has lived and worked on the Sunshine Coast all his life, but travelled extensively during his diverse roles with councils, and has a wide network of contacts across a range of corporate, business, government and community sectors in Australia and overseas.
It is within these diverse range of contacts that he is able to lead the “right fit” team for your project or strategy.
Researching and learning from other industry practitioners has seen Russell attend and lead many specific study tours and undertake varied educational opportunities. He has spent time at the Shanghai Planning Institute and investigated Major Event economic and social indicators in Europe.
Widely recognised as a confident, well researched conference and key note speaker Russell has presented at PIA conferences, Australian Institute Architects awards, and Tourism symposiums on a wide variety of topics including Maroochydore Structure Plan, Noosa Main Beach restoration, and economic and tourism impacts of growing and developing local events.
A dynamic and strategic thinker, Russell’s strengths include:
- strong commercial acumen and a track record in identifying new opportunities and implementing innovative growth strategies in a range of areas, including tourism and events
- excellent organisational and planning skills, including managing competing priorities and emerging issues
- strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to persuasively present new ideas and concepts, manage negotiations and facilitate decision-making
- a proven ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships and networks.
Widely regarded as a man of integrity, Russell is also tenacious, proactive and results-focused — and brings these qualities to every project.
1997–2008: Councillor, Noosa Shire Council
2008–2013: Councillor, Sunshine Coast Council
Past and Present
- Head, Statutory and Regional Planning Portfolio, Sunshine Coast Council
- Chair, Strategy and Planning Committee, Sunshine Coast Council
- Member, Noosa Iconic Advisory Panel, Sunshine Coast Council
- Committee Member, Planning Appeals and Prosecution Review Team, Sunshine Coast Council
- Chair, Environment and Planning Committee, Noosa Council
- Member, South East Queensland Council of Mayors Environment and Sustainability Committee
- Member, South East Queensland Council of Mayors Regional Plan and Growth Management Committee
- Committee Member, National Sea Change Task Force
- Member, Intergovernmental Relations Working Group
- Director, Noosa Biosphere Governance Board
- Trustee, Noosa Community Environment Trust
- Chair, Noosa Main Beach Restoration Project
- Chair, Cleaner Production & Sustainability of Operations Working Group, Noosa Council
- Member, Sunshine Coast Council Alternative Waste Treatment Working Group
- Member,Consultative Group Wide Bay Regional Coastal Management Plan
- Chair, Recreation and Aquatic Strategy Working Group, Sunshine Coast Council
- Chair, Physical Activity Strategy Working Group, Sunshine Coast Council
- Chair, Recreation Plan Working Group, Noosa Council
- Chair, Girraween (Sports Complex) Master Plan Working Group, Noosa Council
- Chair, Housing Affordability Task Force, Sunshine Coast Council
- Chair, Peregian Beach Village Streetscape Project Working Group
- Chair, Peregian Community Centre Working Group
- Member, Major Events Advisory Panel, Sunshine Coast Council
- Company Director, Tourism Noosa Pty Ltd
- Member, Tourism Transition Advisory Board
- Member, Marketing and Events Committee Tourism Noosa
- Member PIA
- Board Member ALFAQ
- Secretary Board of Directors RLSSQ